My stamping adventures

Tuesday, March 16, 2021

GIU day 2 - Dots! dots! and more dots!

 Dots!

                                                                  stamps used:  Unity

Day 2 of guest blogging for my GIU week and today it's all about dots!  simple dots but an effective look.  Pointillism is the theory or practice in art of applying small strokes or dots of color to a surface so that from a distance they blend together.  In the case for my card I'm calling it dots ... I saw someone do this recently online and decided to give it a try.  
basic instructions for Butterfly card:
1.  stamp butterfly randomly on card with black ink.
2.  with lightest color of water based marker (mine are Tombow) outline around the butterfly.
3.  add dots all around the butterfly starting with the lightest marker then repeat with darker markers.
tip:  I find a light touch with a brush marker gives a small dot but the bullet nib gives a more even small dot.  I personally prefer the bullet nib dots.
basic instructions for Caterpillar card:
1. stamp saying with dark brown ink on card, then stamp caterpillar randomly around the saying with the same dark brown ink.
Repeat steps #2 through #3 same as above.

Here another interpretation of the dots idea in this post
Simple, right?  now it's your turn. if or when you try this please show us all your dots!

thanks for stopping by and come back soon.  don't forget to comment (with an email to be contacted) so two of you will be entered in Unity's drawing for a $20 gift certificate. 

18 comments:

JeanneM said...

AwesomeSue! Learn something new from you everyday!

Karren Grayson said...

Love this technique, I will have to give it a try. Thank you for posting.

Debbie Farrell said...

Love this technique and your card. I just watched a video on this over the weekend.

Bunny said...

I think this is a great technique. I've tried it before without good results. I need to try again. Yours look fantastic. [Bunny]

karen adams said...

Beautiful!

Wilma DeG said...

Lovely cards! Thanks for sharing a new-to-me technique.

Kathy Dippner said...

Very pretty! I haven't tried this technique. Thank you for sharing.

Becca Yahrling said...

What a great technique and a great way to add color with uncolored images. Lovely cards, Sue.

Cindy Holmes said...

Cuuuuuuuuuute cards! I am such a buge butterfly fan too!

Linda said...

I had also seen it online, but had not seen it done and explained so well! Thanks for your wonderful share!

Josette said...

Tfs

stamping sue said...

Everyone is so kind with their comments. thank you

Vivian Swain said...

This is an interesting technique. Thanks for sharing.

Denise S. said...

Very cool technique. I have been fascinated by pointillism ever since I took an art history class. Lots of patience to do this and lovely outcomes.

Kathy H said...

So cool thanks for sharing.

The Trudio Studio said...

This looks super fun and easy too!!!! I have never seen this, and I've been at this for a long time!!! I'm going to try. Thanks for sharing! Trudi Adams-Shaffer (adamspl@aol.com)

Vannessa Osbourn said...

Very cool technique and your cards turned out beautiful! I need to try this!!

stamping sue said...

CONGRATULATIONS YOU WON THE DRAWING!

"please email kelli@unitystampco.com to claim your gift credit within 2 weeks". In the subject line have them put "winner from Sue's GIU week".